Saturday, November 28, 2015

Circular Sitting Area (Etc.)

Last weekend, Donald worked on the circular sitting area; I helped with the last few loads of gravel, just so I could honestly claim to have had a hand in the process.  ;o)

It might need another wheelbarrow load or two, but it's just about there.  

Today, we put up two simple trellises.  We might go back and put a board along the top edge, but at this point, we're not sure...

New Trellises

New Trellises

New Trellises

Next, I'll plant vines against the trellises.  (Some of those Mom gave me recently will get a chance here, and if they survive the winter, they'll be the perfect solution for this spot.)

There are more plants to place around this part of the garden expansion, as well as mulching to do.  Lots and lots of mulching.  

At some point, we're planning to get a couple of plastic adirondack(-ish) chairs for the graveled circle.  When the plants fill in, it'll be a pleasant spot to sit, I hope.

A week or two ago, we moved the 'Golden Goddess' bamboo from one side of the circle to the other, where it will have more room and serve as a privacy screen between the sitting area and the easement.

New Trellises

Maybe it's too early to say for sure, but so far it looks like the relocation was a great success!  No obviously dead culms.

With the bamboo and those open trellises, this area has a pretty strong Asian vibe, at the moment, which may feel a little out of sync with the rest of the garden.  I think the addition of more plants will tone that down and help blend it into the rest of the yard.

- - - - - - -

There are still a few things blooming, despite a couple of cold nights.  The blanket flowers are proving hardy.  Though there are still a few bees and butterflies paying visits, I noticed more wasps, today.

Wasps on Blanket Flowers

I can't tell if those are "just wasps" or if they're yellow jackets...  Either way, I think I'll keep my distance.

Wasps on Blanket Flowers

This next flower was hosting a more familiar-looking wasp-- and a leaf-footed bug.

Ugh.  I don't remember ever seeing leaf-footed monsters bugs in my childhood.  I grew up just about a ten-minute drive from where I currently live and frequently visited my grandparents on this very property, only a short walk from where our house now stands.  Maybe the bugs were here all along, and I just never noticed them.  But I really, really doubt it.  It's hard not to notice a big, scary-looking bug that noisily flies at your head like an idiot.  (Yes, they're the idiots of the insect world-- and carpenter bees are the thugs and wasps are the psychopaths.)  In any case, they are here, now, with a vengeance, and I wish they'd go away.

Wasps on Blanket Flowers

- - - - - - -

Here's where most of the still-unplaced plants are hanging out.  I have specific plans for several of them.

The tiny tree with the itsy-bitsy white flowers is Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu' (sometimes known as 'Nanjing Beauty').  The 'Fudingzhu' tea olive is supposed to have larger flowers  in greater abundance than the species (which is the form already in our garden), and its fragrance is reportedly stronger, too, though I've also seen people say that there's not a significant difference.  We'll judge for ourselves, in time.  I was pleasantly struck by its perfume, this afternoon.  The strength of the fragrance seems to vary with "atmospheric conditions" (temperature, humidity, etc.), but when it's just right-- what a delight!

New Plants

Here's another "sneak peek" photo.
The yellow-blooming plant is Salvia madrensis, aka "forsythia sage".
The purple flowers are one of the plants from Mom--  Duranta erecta 'Sapphire Showers'.

New Plants

These azaleas keep on blooming.
One day they'll move into their appointed spots.  Maybe after a good cold spell.  (The shrubs that need to come out, first, make me a little nervous regarding the things that could be hiding inside them...)

Azaleas

Even though those cold nights shriveled them (or at least parts of them), the Mexican purple sage has bounced back enough in the warmer weather to continue to attract some insects.

While I'm on the subject of Salvia purpurea, the cuttings I took and put in water (to root) didn't do very well.  The water was getting very cloudy, and when I took them out to give them a fresh jar of water, the cuttings were so stinky that I decided to just toss them.  Not sure if I had bad luck, did something wrong, or if this plant just doesn't root well in water.  (I may try one more time, since there are still plenty of green stems in the garden.)

The cuttings I stuck straight into a pot of garden soil are right beside the sunny garage window.  So far, they look ok. (Knock on wood...)  Meanwhile, I'll give the existing plants a thick winter mulch and hope at least one of them comes through the winter.

Late November Blooms

It certainly doesn't feel like late November, this weekend!