Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April Flowers

'Joseph's Coat' rose.
Blooming prettily, early this year.  Some of the leaves already show signs of spots, but oh well.  I'll just ignore them.  Honestly, I never really paid attention to spots and periodic defoliation before reading other people groaning about them online.  That's just part of growing (most) roses, in my limited experience.  They put out new leaves, so no big deal.

'Joseph's Coat' Rose

'Joseph's Coat' Rose


Unknown variety of amaryllis.
The first flower just happened to open on Easter, which was completely serendipitous.  I couldn't have planned that if I'd tried, most likely.  When it's finished blooming, I'll plant the bulb in the garden and hope that it will come back next year.  I'm pretty sure Granny L.'s garden at least used to have lots of amaryllis, but I'm not sure if they're still there (and if not, if she removed them or they faded away over the years)... what kind(s) they are/were... what kind of care amaryllis needs to return year after year, etc.  Something to research, I guess.

Amaryllis

Mountain laurel flower buds.
I think it's going to bloom!  I honestly didn't expect it would bloom this year, but those are not "just" leaf buds.  I'll be sure to take photos when they open.

Mountain Laurel - Flower Buds

Clematis season has begun!

Unknown Clematis

Unknown Clematis


This is 'Fireflame', which is "supposed" to be double, but I've read that some clematis start out single and eventually turn double (with maturity, I guess?)... Actually, I just did a little more quick research and read that for some clematis, the double blooms appear on older growth, so if you prune incorrectly, they'll only ever produce single blooms (because there won't be any/enough old growth left to bloom on).  Interesting... I'd love to see this one bloom double, eventually.  I need to read and learn more about pruning clematis...

'Fireflame' Clematis

A break from the pretty flowers... ;o)
Lately, I've been seeing lots of eastern tent caterpillars (a.k.a. "ugh, gross, ihatethem i hatethem ihatethem").  Nasty things.  I keep reading (year after year) that they're usually not a significant threat to plants, but I just don't like the darn things.  They're gross.

Eastern Tent Caterpillar

...I wish I could talk the green anoles into eating them.  We have a lot of those, too.  So long as they don't eat all our butterflies, I don't mind lizards.  Their acrobatic antics and interactions are entertaining to watch, and they're much cuter than squirmy, spiky, pesty caterpillars.

Green Anole

Back to the flowers!
Double white clematis.

Unknown Clematis

At first glance, all-which clematis may seem boring, but just take in those luxurious, full blooms!  And the buff-colored stamens!  They're just gorgeous.

Unknown Clematis

Unknown Clematis


Unknown Clematis


Unknown Clematis


Strawberry begonia flowers.
This is the first time I've seen our strawberry begonia in bloom.  Most people grow this plant more for the foliage (not shown (g)) than the spring flowers, but the flowers are also pretty, in a wild, barely-there way.  The have an unusual form, with those two long petals on the bottom.

Strawberry Begonia Blooms

'Peggy Martin' rose (a.k.a. the Katrina rose)
Some of the many tiny buds have burst, and we're getting our first real, in-person look at this climber's blooms.  The pink of the newly-opened flowers is a darker medium-pink than the pale, slightly cool pink of the first flower, which makes sense.  Flowers fade over time.

I'm happy with the color, and I think it'll work well enough with the many warm hues of 'Joseph's Coat' on the other side of the arbor (assuming both hang around and stay where they're currently planted).

'Peggy Martin' Rose

'Peggy Martin' Rose

'Peggy Martin' Rose w/ Bee


'Peggy Martin' Rose w/ Bee


'Peggy Martin' Rose