Friday, May 27, 2016

More Daylilies

Time for another bunch of daylily photos!

This week, I noticed that I can definitely smell some of these daylilies when I'm working or walking close to them.  I'd read before that some daylilies are scented, but I don't know if I'd ever really noticed it before.

So far, I wouldn't say that I've found a daylily fragrance that I absolutely adore.  It's not an exquisite perfume, like gardenia or honeysuckle, but it's not unpleasant, either.  I'd say it's probably an acquired taste-- like marigolds or the smell of tomato plants.  A very "plant-y", herbal-floral scent.

- - - - - - -

Every so often, a daylily bloom has more than the typical three petals (plus three sepals).  I've seen at least a few with four petals, before, but this was the first time I've noticed one with five.  It also had two pistils (one is usual) and more stamens than a normal daylily flower (most have six).

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

Daylily

The daylily seedlings are doing well, on the whole.  :o)

Daylily Seedlings

Daylily Seedlings

This has been your regularly scheduled weekly quota of daylily photos.  ;o)