Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Late-November Flowers

If someone were to ask me if there are many flowers blooming in my garden in late November, I'd probably answer that there aren't, but when I take the time to really look, there are a surprising number of plants still in flower, even at this late date.

Here are a few photos from this week (including a few "not-flowers").

Pink trumpet vine.
Still blooming a little; still creeping here, there, and everywhere.  Pink ruffles!

Pink Trumpet Vine

Osmanthus fragrans.
This tea olive is growing steadily, a little each year.  The flowers are tiny and unimpressive to look at, but they smell so sweet and fresh-- a floral-fruity, apricot-like fragrance.

Tea Olive

I was surprised to see that there was still at least one more Gulf fritillary caterpillar on the passion vine!

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

Madagascar periwinkle.
Simple, pretty, cheerful little flowers.

Madagascar Periwinkle

'Joseph's Coat' rose.
The 'Peggy Martin' rose is blooming, too, but there was only one small flower that I didn't bother to photograph.  Also, my photos of the tiny violet flowers of purple heart turned out too blurry to share.

'Joseph's Coat' Rose

Unknown pink rose.
The coverage of these shrub roses is a bit sparse, but the little flowers themselves are always pretty and charming.

Unknown Pink Rose

'Nearly Wild' rose.
I'm considering moving this rose, as it may perform better with a little more sun.  Most (if not all) my roses will get a heavy pruning, early next year.

The double red and double pink Knock Out roses and the "too-red" rose are also blooming, though none are positively covered in flowers, at the moment.

'Nearly Wild' Rose

Succulents.
I've moved most of the succulents into the garage window, along with some other cold-sensitive plants.  This big pot is still out in the garden, though.  If I remember, I'll try to move it into shelter before the next freeze.

Succulent

Gulf muhly grass.
This muhly grass turned tan very early in the autumn, this year.  I've noticed plants in town are still boasting clouds of pink, which makes me wonder why mine faded so fast.  Microclimate may have something to do with it... Or maybe this is a different variety.  I've tried and failed to find the plant tag that came with it.  If it fades this early next year, I'll probably move it somewhere else in the garden and try again with another plant.

Muhly Grass

Miscanthus 'Adagio'.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for success with this ornamental grass...

Miscanthus 'Adagio'

Salvia 'Pizzazz Purple'.
Still blooming!  The Mexican bush sage is also technically still flowering, but it's looking more dried-up every day.  The forsythia sage is fading, but it's still in bloom.

'Pizzazz Purple' Salvia

Black-eyed Susan vine.
I'm surprised these vines are still hanging in there, but they are.  The occasional leaf has turned mauve, which adds some interesting contrast to the green leaves and golden flowers.

Black-Eyed Susan Vine

Wax myrtle.
The berries of the wax myrtle (a.k.a. bayberry) have a waxy coating that was used in the past (and maybe by some to this day) to make candles.  Apparently this tree has had many uses through the years, and I've heard that some in my own family once used branches of the fragrant leaves as a flea deterrent.

Wax Myrtle Berries

Yaupon holly.
Evidently, the berries of yaupon holly contain more caffeine by weight than both coffee beans and green tea.  I wouldn't recommend eating them, though; they were once used by Native Americans to induce vomiting.

Privet Berries

Yellow Knock Out rose.
These have a light, pleasant fragrance-- a nice bonus!  The insect is a spotted cucumber beetle-- a garden pest, unfortunately.  Too bad, because they're actually fairly attractive, for bugs.

Yellow KO Rose w/ Beetle

That concludes the Late-November Flower Tour.  ;o)