Sunday, April 2, 2017

'Peggy Martin' Rose

Looking past some issues with leafspot, the 'Peggy Martin' climbing rose I planted last year is doing well.

Here it is several days ago:

'Peggy Martin' Rose

And again this morning (so you can see how many more flowers have opened up since then)...

'Peggy Martin' Rose

Many of the individual blooms are fading, but the over-all appearance (especially from a distance) is nice-- very cottage-garden and how you expect a rose-covered arbor to look.

'Peggy Martin' Rose

Of course, this is only the beginning of its first full season in the garden, but this year it is out-performing the 'Joseph's Coat' on the other side.  (To be fair, 'Joseph's Coat' did well its first year, too...)

'Peggy Martin' Rose

I don't have the best track record for starting roses from cuttings, but I intend to read a little about it and give it a try.  If I can get some to work, I think I'll move the 'Joseph's Coat' and try to get 'Peggy Martin' growing on the other side, too.

'Peggy Martin' Rose

Though some describe it as lightly fragranced, I've yet to notice any fragrance at all (though I'll keep checking, as it does seem to vary with some plants, depending on time of year and other conditions).  On the plus side, it's supposed to bloom again in late summer/early fall.

'Peggy Martin' Rose

It's best pruned in late winter/early spring, after the coldest weather is past.  Fortunately, this rose is nearly thornless, so it's not nearly so painful a process as it is to prune more prickly plants (ahem, 'Joseph's Coat').