Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Creepy Crawlers

Confession:  I don't really like caterpillars for their own sakes.  I try not to mind the ones that turn into "beautiful butterflies", but the creepy-crawly part of the life-cycle gives me a slight case of... well, the creeps.

I've learned to be happy whenever I find unattractive, slimy-looking earthworms in the soil.  I think most of us can agree that earthworms are not exactly "lookers", but the knowledge that they're good for the garden has helped me move past their unsightly appearance.  These days, I'll gladly scoop them up in my bare hand to move them to a safe spot in a flowerbed.

(Tangent: I just learned that earthworms aren't native to all parts of the U.S., and that they're actually considered harmful pests in some places!  Also, there are many non-native species that have been introduced from other continents, over the years.  I have no idea if "our" earthworms are native or not, but I'm pretty sure earthworms of some description do at least belong in the Deep South... Ah, whatever.  I'm going to pretend that "my" earthworms are Good Guys and continue being happy to find them!)

To get back to the topic... If I can learn to love earthworms, why am I still so resistant to caterpillars? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they eat my plants.  I know they're just doing what they're supposed to do, but it's always a little alarming to see a lush plant defoliated over the course of a few weeks.

The Gulf fritillaries came later this year than last, but once they came, they got down to business, laying many eggs, which eventually turned into many caterpillars-- all of them with a serious case of the munchies.

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillars

These photos are from last week.  As of this week, there's not a passion vine leaf in sight.  They even ate up the little plants I had started from cuttings.  (Not sure if they'll come back next spring, but I'll hold on to the pots, just in case!)

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillars

The remaining caterpillars that didn't get their fill before the buffet ran out will probably die, but there's nothing I can do about that.  I don't know of any other plants they can eat, around here.  Once the passion vine leaves are gone, they're gone!

Besides, there are Gulf fritillary chrysalises here and there all over the garden, so (like last year) I think we've done our part to support the local population!

In the next photo, here's one caterpillar entering the pupal stage.  It's attached itself to a clematis vine and is curled into a "J" shape.  Eventually, it will form a chrysalis and transform into a butterfly in just a couple of weeks' time.  (...It's pretty weird, when you think about it.  Amazing?  Miraculous?  Sure, but also just weird!  This stuff would be right at home in some sci-fi story about a bizarre alien species.)

Gulf Fritillary Caterpillar

I was interested to notice that there are two or three passionfruit on the vine(s) this year.  This is the first time I've seen fruit on any passion vine we've grown.  For a year or two, we grew the "wild" variety-- the "incarnata" species.  I knew that those could produce fruit, but ours didn't.  (Unfortunately, that plant died.  The flowers were larger than the red variety, but they were a pale purple and didn't stand out as much over a distance.)

From what I've read, the fruit of this 'Lady Margaret' variety may never ripen-- and if it does, it may not be tasty.  Also, the seeds may or may not be viable.  None of that really matters to me, but it's fun to see a few fruit, just for curiosity's sake.

Passionfruit on the Vine


In this area, passion vine takes a while to get going in late spring/early summer, and it can look scraggly and sad once the caterpillars finish with it-- but it's definitely an interesting plant with unusually-formed, tropical-style flowers and the occasional fruit.  It also attracts bright orange butterflies like crazy and is literally crawling with life for a good month or more (as long as the leaves hold out!).  It's well worth growing if you want a front-row seat at the yearly Gulf fritillary show.