Thursday, May 24, 2018

Scenes of April (?)

(Still weeks behind in photos, so these are from April, I think-- possibly even earlier...)

Blanketflower.
Performs best in dry, hot weather.  Rain knocks down the tall ones, unfortunately, but they're pretty while they last.  I'm not sure if cutting them back short after they've fallen rejuvenates them, but I plan to give it a try.

Blanketflower

Blanketflower

Blanketflower

Blanketflower

Blanketflower

Blanketflower and salvia ('Blue Bedder').

Blanketflower and Salvia

Clematis and 'Peggy Martin'.

Clematis

Japanese roof iris.

Japanese Roof Iris

Gladiolus.
This is one of the few small gladiolus that have returned.  Unfortunately, most haven't come back this year.  So far, it's just been the Italian glads (though in smaller numbers than I planted them), one or two like this one, and several 'Atom'.  Oh well!  I guess I won't be planting any more of those!  (There's also a couple clumps of the taller, hybrid glads that return year after year.  Photos of those to follow at some point.  They've already bloomed, but who knows when I'll catch up to current photos! (g))

Gladiolus

Achillea.
Yarrow.  The common white type, but still pretty-- and tough as nails.

Achillea

Blue flag iris.
These came from Granny L.'s garden last year.  I love that color!

Blue Flag Iris

Blue Flag Iris

Blue Flag Iris

False indigo.

False Indigo

'Blue Bedder' sage.

'Blue Bedder' Sage

Clematis.

Clematis

Clematis

Clematis

Strawberry begonia.
(Saxifraga stolonifera.)  It's slowly creeping out and covering a bigger area under the large loropetalum.  It was looking great early this spring, but then it started to show signs of distress-- yellowing.  I think it was suffering from our drought.  I did water a time or two, and now the rains have returned, so maybe it will bounce back.  It's an unassuming plant, but I enjoy it. 

Strawberry Begonia

Strawberry Begonia

Mint. 
I've never tried growing it out of a pot, ever since Mom gave me my start.  I think most gardeners are familiar with mint's reputation for taking a mile when given an inch.  ...I'm still tempted to try it in the ground, somewhere...

Mint

Semi-shade garden.
The bog sage has grown much taller since this was taken and is now blooming.  I love that plant.  It does stink for a while if it's bumped/crushed/watered from above, but that's a small price to pay for the sky blue flowers.  I think that if it's left alone, it doesn't smell nearly as much (or at all).  Some gardeners reportedly use bog sage as natural deer repellent, as they don't like its smell.  It does want to spread through the garden, so give it room or plan to dig/pull parts of it to keep it contained.

Semi-Shade Garden