Sunday, August 9, 2015

A Walk Through the Garden

Time for another stroll through the garden!

Most of the volunteer coleus this year have been the same basic kind-- light green margins around dark burgundy.  This different, mottled variety poked up in a crack between patio pavers.  I rescued it, and now it's enjoying a roomy pot.  I like the scalloped edges.

Coleus

The other type is pretty, too, with the contrast between chartreuse and wine red. Coleus is definitely one of those plants that I would've yawned about, in younger years, but there's a lot to like.  I'd be more interested in collecting more varieties if I could master the art of overwintering these annuals.  I'll give it a try this winter and see what happens.

Coleus

Red KO rose.

Double Red KO Rose

Some of the Indian blanket is flopping over, but others are standing proud.  Even the floppy ones are pretty, though.

Indian Blanket


Indian Blanket


Indian Blanket

I finally decided to mark the new lavender (English lavender bought on clearance-- Lavandula angustifolia 'Ellagance Purple') as dead, moving it from my list of plants in our garden to a new list of failures (for future reference and reflection (g)). 

It smelled so good, but it couldn't handle our weather, I guess.  Fortunately, the lavender we bought last year-- Lavandula stoechas 'Pinata'-- sometimes known as "piñata lavender"-- is alive and well.  The original plant has bounced back pretty well from its bad winter, and the cutting I rooted is enthusiastic.  I'd like to get another cutting or two, for insurance.  I might try moving at least one of these into the house over the winter.  Maybe trim it back before moving it, though...

Pinata Lavender

Pinata Lavender

The "petite" butterfly bush is doing very well.  This is a clearance purchase that panned out!  The spikes of flowers are tiny compared to regular buddleia/buddleja, but on the plus side, it's supposed to stay relatively small, and since it's (supposedly) sterile, it can't become invasive. 

If this one comes back and does this well next year, I'd definitely like to add another (in a different color) to the garden. 

Butterfly Bush (Petite Variety)

This butterfly saw its appeal.  ;o)

Butterfly

Butterfly

The same rather battered and battle-scarred butterfly also visited the purple coneflowers.

Butterfly


Butterfly

The coneflowers are popular with bees and butterflies alike-- and I like them, too.  Last night, I dreamed I found a whole previously unknown bank positively crowded with coneflowers and red coreopsis.  I was happily hatching plans for dividing them and spreading them around, sharing them, etc.-- then I went off to get the camera.  A bit of a disappointment to wake up and realize it was only a dream.  ;o)

But the existing, real flowers are a pleasure, even in their small numbers-- and who knows how they may multiply, with luck and encouragement?

Purple Coneflower

Bee on Coneflower

The elephant ears are still going strong.

Elephant Ear

Dewdrops on Elephants

...As is the purple rose of Sharon.

Rose of Sharon

Here's a photo of the night-blooming jasmine's bloom.  Though it doesn't release its fragrance during the day, the (insignificant-looking) flowers are still there to see.

Night-Blooming Jasmine

Up high in the night-blooming jasmine, I spied a small green anole perched on some leaves.  I didn't realize until I had downloaded the photos from the camera that he was in the middle of molting.  I can almost see the thought-bubble above his head... "Good grief!  Can't a lizard get a little privacy?!  Can't even molt in peace, these days..."

Molting Green Anole

The little marigolds around the raised vegetable beds have grown big and sprawling.    

Marigolds

Marigolds

The dangling seedheads of the river oats (northern sea oats) are turning gold and brown.  The plant has put out some new shoots from the base, too. 

River Oats

Behind the garage, the white crepe myrtles are in bloom.

White Crepe Myrtle


White Crepe Myrtle

And in closing, one more "overview" shot of the flower garden from the back corner of the garage:

Flower Garden