Friday, August 14, 2015

Photos for a Friday

'Grandpa Ott's' morning glory.
The flowers are mostly clustered all at the top of the trellis, but where they are, they're charming.

'Grandpa Ott's' Morning Glory

'Grandpa Ott's' Morning Glory

Yellow flag (wild yellow iris), Ligustrum sinense 'Sunshine' (privet), elephant ears. 

Foliage

Double pink KO rose with cypress vine.
Cypress vine grows so fast, this time of year!  I've been pulling it, throughout the summer, but now it's beginning to outpace me.  That's why I assume there will always be some cypress vine in our yard, no matter how many years I may live here and pull it. 

Well, it's not so bad.  At least it's pretty and relatively easy to pull.  The torpedo grass and gripeweed, on the other hand...

Double Pink KO Rose

Crepe myrtle.  
This is one of our white-blooming crepe myrtles-- not sure if it's Natchez or some other type.  I love that bright, cinnamon-red bark.  It's even more striking when the tree has just shed its old bark. 

Crepe Myrtle

River oats or Northern sea oats (Chasmanthium latifolium).
Since the last photo I posted (just a few days ago, I think), the seed heads have all turned bronzy-tan. 

Northern Sea Oats

Northern Sea Oats

...Except for these new, tiny ones that have appeared with the new growth.  

Northern Sea Oats

Scarlet sage or hummingbird sage (Salvia coccinea).
Very pretty!  I hope this will form a larger colony, next year.  Some report that it self-sows readily, so there's a chance.

Scarlet Sage

Indian blanket (Gaillardia).

Indian Blanket

Indian Blanket

'Joseph's Coat' climbing rose.
I tied some new growth to the arbor, earlier this week. 

'Joseph's Coat' Climbing Rose

Mina lobata (Spanish flag, exotic love vine, etc.).
These two spikes of bloom caught my eye from the kitchen window, this morning.  Many more soon to follow, I hope!

Mina Lobata

Dragonfly on moonflower bud.

Dragonfly

And now for some dog photos!
Trixie first...

Little Miss Trixie

Little Miss Trixie

Little Miss Trixie

Little Miss Trixie

Trixie-Doge

And here comes Luna.  :o)

Luna

Time for the weekend!