Sunday, February 25, 2018

More (Too-)Early Spring

March is supposed to bring more seasonable weather with it (not too cold, I hope, for my garden's sake), and some rain is cooling things down a little, at the moment, but we're still having an early spring.

There's no shortage of things to photograph!

Green anole (with a loropetalum in the background, providing all that pink):

Green Anole

A few rosebuds have begun to appear on 'Peggy Martin' (a.k.a. "the Katrina rose"):

'Peggy Martin' rosebud

Purple oxalis is springing up here and there:

Purple Oxalis

Trixie, enjoying the nice weather:

Trixie

Strawberry begonia (Saxifraga stolonifera) with pink "confetti" from the loropetalum above:

Strawberry Begonia

Next, here's more strawberry begonia, this time with Spanish bluebells.  No flower buds on the bluebells, yet, but at least the foliage means they've survived another year!

Strawberry Begonia and Spanish Bluebell (Foliage Only)

Hedychium 'Elizabeth'.  This and the common white butterfly ginger have both started putting up stalks.  I thought February was awfully early for these gingers to make an appearance, but looking at the last year or two of the blog, maybe it's actually right on target...  Some of our gingers ('Scarlet Fever' curcuma, for instance) don't usually do much until around May.  

'Elizabeth' Hedychium

Salvia madrensis is up, too.  (And I noticed that the bit down in the southwestern corner of the yard has started to grow, too, so it did survive the winter in that damp spot.)

Forsythia Sage

Unfortunately, the wasps (and carpenter bees) are also out early, this year.  There are a few jobs I should've done a month ago that will now probably wait until next winter, because I'm terrified of disturbing a hidden wasp's nest and being stung repeatedly.  (Yes, I am a wasp-wimp. I will go out of my way to avoid wasps.)

Wasp

Salvia purpurea is popping up, which is always cause for celebration.  Every winter, I worry it will die.  I'm still holding my breath over the 'Pizzazz Purple' salvia.  No sign of life from that, yet, though some of the Mexican bush sage have already sprouted leaves.  (I tend to wring my wrists a bit over these salvias.  I never have complete faith that they'll return.)

Salvia purpurea

'Sunshine' ligustrum is sprouting bright new chartreuse leaves-- which makes me very happy!  Love that color!

'Sunshine' Ligustrum

Neither of the spirea at the bottom of the yard look exceptionally happy, but at least one of them is blooming a little:

Bridal Wreath

Bridal Wreath

Likewise, the pale Japanese magnolia in the backyard has less bloom than usual, but at least there's been some:

Japanese Magnolia

Japanese Magnolia


There are early signs of life from 'Tea Cup' and 'Black Ripple' elephant ears-- as well as some of the plain ones.  No photos, but the canna lilies are also all sprouting new growth.

'Tea Cup' Elephant Ear

More flowers from the camellia...

Camellia

Camellia


Camellia


Moss, just 'cause I like it...

Moss

Wild white violets have the tiniest flowers.  They grow in a weedy way, here and there-- wherever-- but as long as they don't overcrowd the "real" plants, I'm happy to have them around.

Wild White Violet

The roses always look their best early in the year-- spring and maybe early summer.  The leaves are at their fullest and most flawless, then.  Fresh, new leaves that haven't had a chance to go spotty and fall off...

'Zéphirine Drouhin' Rose Leaves

The dianthus by the garage (south-facing wall) is still hanging in there.  I never expected it to live this long.

Pinks

Only a few more days of February...
When the cooler air returns, I need to make the most of it and get some more mulching done!