Sunday, February 25, 2018

Loropetalum

Loropetalum, from what I recall, has light, sporadic rebloom during the summer and fall, but its BIG bloom comes in spring, and we're in the thick of it.

There are three in our garden.  The newest is still small, in the front yard.  (No photos of that one, in this post.)  It has pink flowers and was labeled 'Ruby'-- but given the unreliability of those labels, there's no telling if that's correct.

The oldest loropetalum is one we originally had planted in what once was the dog pen, back when we lived in a trailer on the other side of the property, before the house was built.  After moving into the house, we eventually transplanted the shrub to its current location on the north side of the house (in the "semi-shade garden" area).

It grew so tall that I decided to prune it into a tree, and it's now towering over our covered patio:

Loropetalum

I have no idea what cultivar/variety this one is, but it has dark green leaves and hot pink flowers that fall like confetti onto the ground below.  It's a thing of beauty when in full bloom.  The sunlight that filters through it is tinted ever-so-slightly pink!

Loropetalum

Loropetalum

Before we transplanted the hot pink loropetalum, I noticed that a small baby plant had sprouted underneath it-- and it had a tiny bit of white flower.  So I dug it up and planted it on the west side of the house.  It has grown since then and is actually too close to the house, to be honest, but I doubt I'll ever transplant it.  (Maybe I'll prune it, if necessary.  I think I'll try to root some cuttings, this spring... I'd like to have a "spare".)

The hot pink/magenta/fuchsia loropetalums are gorgeous, but I love this white one, too.  Such frothy, airy flowers, and they just glow in the sun.  White loropetalum reminds me of a "grandpa graybeard" tree, which also is covered in "fringy" white flower.  (We don't have one in our garden, but my mother planted one at their old house, my childhood home.)

I took quite a few photos of it in bloom, this week.  (This isn't even all of them!)

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

The white flowers stand out well against dark trees or buildings.

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

White Loropetalum

It's not a native, but it's easy to grow, doesn't seem to be invasive, and makes a beautiful evergreen addition to our garden.

If you live in a climate with mild winters (zones 7 to 10), I can recommend loropetalum.  Just give them plenty of room, because they always seem to get bigger than they're "supposed" to, based on personal experience!