Thursday, March 8, 2018

Who's That Tapping at My Door?

Last week, we had a busy day with two mysterious visitors at the back door...

I was in the front of the house and heard what sounded like the random noises that another person would make while going about his business.  The problem was, I was alone in the house, except for the dogs, and these sounds were not "dog noises".  What could it be?

Fortunately, it wasn't an intruder or a poltergeist-- just the male bluebird I'd been seeing around the yard, now perched on the atrium door and gently tapping/flapping at the window.  I'm not sure why, but he was very interested in that door and visited it repeatedly over the next few days.  My best guess is that he was arguing with his own reflection.

Bluebird

The bluebirds have since disappeared, which is disappointing; we'd hoped they'd take up residence in one of our birdhouses.  Maybe they'll return.

Bluebird

Later that same day, I heard another odd sound at the same door, but the bluebird was nowhere in evidence... Then I saw what looked like a black garden hose hanging out of a pot of chives by the door.

Note: There is not a hose there.

The "hose" began to move... Slithered right up to the door and took a good look inside...

Black Racer

The black racer strikes again!  (At least, I think it's a black racer and not a black rat snake.)

Black Racer

I pointed it out to Luna (through the window) and it took off.  (Shy, I guess. ;o))  I'm not thrilled to have this snake in our yard, because they have a reputation for being more aggressive than some of the other non-venomous snakes.  I'd rather it were a king snake, but it's been living in our yard for at least the last year without causing any serious problems. 

Since there's kind of an animal theme going with this post, here are a few more creature featur...ing photos to close things out...

Spiderwort w/ Bug

Rabbit Crossing

(What?  It's animal-themed!)

And last but not least, my two favorite creatures in the garden, Luna...

Hula Ba-Lula (Luna)

and Trixie (looking a little worried here, for some reason):

Frisky Triscuit (Trixie)

Happy March!