Saturday, March 24, 2018

Spring Marches On

The Spanish bluebells have returned. The flowers are still not so tightly bunched as in the example photos, but I'm just happy they're alive and blooming.  Some of the ones further back under the loropetalum have just leaves-- no bud stalk.  If I remember and feel up to the challenge, I might dig those up when the foliage fades and relocate them the a slightly sunnier spot. 

Spanish Bluebells

Spanish Bluebells


Spanish Bluebells


Spanish Bluebells

Here they are with the just-starting blooms of the strawberry begonia, which is looking great this spring.  It's starting to fill in the area in the front of the large loropetalum very nicely.  I might try to take a piece or two and get it started on the other sides of the loropetalum, next.  I'm not sure it'll get enough sun to thrive, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Spanish Bluebells and Strawberry Begonia

Other spring bulbs have put in an appearance-- a few daffodils, the spring starflowers, and the Italian gladiolus (sold as Byzantine glads-- not that I'm bitter or anything).  The gladiolus are nice, once they get going.  When I took these photos, a day or two ago, there were only a couple open, but more are joining in, day by day.

Italian Gladiolus

Italian Gladiolus


The viburnum is starting to flower, too.  The cutting I planted in the front yard is nicely leafed out, but I don't think it's blooming.  It should catch up in a couple years, unless the clay soil slows it down a little.

Viburnum

Viburnum


'Sunshine' ligustrum continues to be a delight.  I've been very happy with this plant.  The golden foliage provides much-needed contrast to all that green. 

'Sunshine' Ligustrum

The golden alexander(s?) on the other hand, I've found disappointing, as it never seemed to do much.  This year, it's looking somewhat better, so maybe there's hope for further improvement. 

Zizia aurea

I failed to prune the roses this winter... I'll have to do it next winter, instead.

KO Rose (Red Double)

Some of the clematis are beginning to bloom.  This is 'Fireflame', which is supposed to be a double.  It's only been a single for us, so far, but it's beautiful in either form. 

'Fireflame' Clematis

This is a no-ID from Mom's garden.  It's survived my neglect, transplanting, and repeated failures to prune (despite good intentions).  I'm amazed at how hardy clematis are, considering how frail they look. 

NOID Clematis

I can't seem to stop photographing the purple oxalis.  It always attracts my attention... This is another plant that takes a beating and keeps coming back. 

Purple Shamrocks

This yellow flag iris bloom caught me by surprise.  The clump growing by the covered patio is a little raggedy, flopping down instead of standing tall.  Maybe more sun would help.  Or fertilizer.  (Everything needs fertilizer.  I tend to forget to do it until inopportune times...)

Yellow Flag Iris

I've been pleasantly surprised by the sweet william (should that be capitalized?) that Aunt Cathy and Tucker started from seed a couple years ago.  I never realized it would return multiple years, but it has, and it's a pretty flower.  I'm also reading that it has a pleasant scent, so I'll have to check that out next time I'm near it!

Sweet William

They're supposed to be easy to start from cuttings, so maybe I'll give that a try, too.  (You know how I love taking cuttings... It's a form of magic that creates free plants!  Amazing!)

Sweet William

I think it was last year that I planted these azaleas along the front of our house... They're reblooming 'Autumn Sunburst'. 

'Autumn Sunburst' Azalea

The ivy in the pot by the front door is starting to fill in a bit more around the bottom.  Still plenty of vertical space to conquer on its own personal trellis.

Ivy

More flowers on the darker Japanese magnolia...

Japanese Magnolia

And the mountain laurel is in bloom!

Mountain Laurel

Mountain Laurel


Mountain Laurel


Mountain Laurel


Mountain Laurel


More azaleas!  These are the ones in the wilderness area (i.e. unkempt, overgrown source of enduring shame) outside our front fence.  Mom and I planted these many years back...

Azalea

Azalea


The weigela is very pretty this time of year!  (Passed along from Aunt Debbie.)

Weigela

Weigela


Weigela


Weigela


Salvia madrensis (forsythia sage) coming along nicely.  Still short, but before you know it, it'll be towering... and leaning... and swaying all over the place. This plant gets a little tipsy.  You can cut it back, but I don't think I usually remember to do it until it's too late.  Fortunately, I don't mind plants that try to hug you as you walk past-- though the yellow pollen of this one has a reputation for staining clothes. 

Salvia madrensis

And last, a peek under the covered patio, where sun-shy plants in pots like to hide out.  The beauty in front is Japanese shrub mint (not remotely minty) 'Golden Angel' (a.k.a. 'Gold Angel').  In back, Japanese sedge 'Everillo' vies for attention.  This is the prettiest time of year for both plants.  Later on, that gorgeous glowing foliage darkens somewhat (in my experience, at least).  They're still pretty, but not quite so eye-catching. 

'Golden Angel' Japanese Shrub Mint

- - - - - - -

Last weekend (I think...), Donald planted six 'Early Girl' tomatoes, and I set out some yellow squash seeds.  I've also planted some questionable-looking canna 'Pretoria' tubers, planted a 'Henryi' clematis along the northern fence, moved a bunch of orange daylilies (common type) to a new spot near the pineapple guava, planted daylilies (some of last year's seedlings and some I ordered online), planted a vitex (chaste tree) near the garage, and enlarged an existing flowerbed to include the vitex (and a fair bit of space where I can squeeze in some more flowers, because I like flowers and want to grow more of them, thank you very much). 

There's also been mulching and weeding and sniffing banana shrub and sweet olive and gloating over the burgeoning spring and hand-wringing over that blasted, infernal torpedo grass.  You know, gardening. 

I have some planting to do in the next couple days and seeds to start, too.  More about all that next time, maybe!