Thursday, March 29, 2018

Planting Daylilies

I'm afraid this is going to be another of those boring blog posts with next to no photos.  Its chief purpose is to record, for future reference, roughly where I've planted some named/registered daylily plants.

I want to try my hand at some amateur hybridizing, so it will be useful to know where to find the diploids vs. the tetraploids-- and also, it's just nice to know the name of a cultivar, if it is named.  So many of my plants are nameless (or at least "no ID"), so I'm trying to start off on the right foot with the ones whose names I do know.

Planting New Daylilies

Between the vitex and the southwest corner of the garage, there are three new daylilies.  Starting closest to the garage, there's 'Jo Barbre', followed by 'Elizabeth Salter' and 'Fairy Tale Pink'.

In the Oval Bed, on the northwest side/end is 'Miss Amelia'.  On the southwest side/end is 'Joan Senior'.  On the south end, 'Lullaby Baby'. On the north end, 'So Lovely'.  Northwest of birth bath (near blanket flower and bog sage), 'Prairie Moonlight'.  East side, to left-front of white muhly grass, 'Land of Cotton'.  North-east end of bed, to left of 'So Lovely', 'Jean Swann'.

South side of back-door patio, in front of 'Russian Red' canna and yellow KO rose, 'So Lovely'.  Same bed, between the two yellow KO roses, 'Rosie Meyer'.  Near 'Russian Red' canna' and boxwood, 'Persian Market'.

Northwest corner of covered patio, in front of pink NOID rose, 'Pandora's Box'.

South side of Straight and Narrow Path, in front of left-most miniature gardenia, 'Spanish Harlem'.  In front of middle gardenia, 'Apollodorus'.  On northeast corner of patio, to the right of single purple rose of Sharon, 'Lilting Belle'.

On the stepping-stone path, near the pink roses, 'Dominic'.

In front of the house: By the variegated hydrangea, 'Noble Lord'.  Between two azaleas, 'Midnight Magic'.

On front north fence, between white rose, weigela, and Black Diamond crepe myrtle ('Red Hot'?), 'Red Volunteer'.  Between banana shrub and rose of Sharon, 'Dallas Star'.

- - - - - - -

That's it for the newly planted named cultivars, but there are a few named daylilies I planted a year or more ago.

In the Oval Bed, on the east side, there are two small clumps of 'Stella de Oro'.

On the northwest corner of the covered paio, near the single white rose of Sharon, 'Night Beacon'.  (I think it's still alive... It was a bagged plant and didn't do very well its first year.)

Not sure about where I planted these... I think 'Happy Returns' is right where the Straight and Narrow Path meets the circle of gravel, near the light pink double rose of Sharon.  Somewhere, there's a 'Little Business'... I think I'll recognize it when it blooms.

There's also what must be 'Kwanso', somewhere around the yard... (Unless it's 'Flore Pleno'.  I doubt I could tell them apart.)

Some of the pass-alongs are probably named cultivars, but I have no idea what they are, so they'll remain beautiful mysteries.