Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Various and Sundry Photos

Black racer snake.
Made another appearance on the back patio.  I snapped a quick photo through the door's window.

Black Racer Snake

Onion chives, with squash and self-sown marigolds in back.
The chives and marigolds are still there, but the squash withered away for some reason.  Next year, if I bother with squash, I'll definitely start from seed.

Chives

Umbrella palm flowers.

Umbrella Palm

'Lady Margaret' passionflower.
I've had success with my first two cuttings!  Those are for Mom, so I tried a couple more to grow elsewhere in our own garden.

Passionflower Vine

(Vine without flowers.)

Passion Vine

Unknown succulent in hypertufa dish.
One of the more successful ones, this year.

Succulents

Purple coneflowers.
Lots of them, and I'm loving every one!

Purple Coneflower

Purple Coneflower


Purple Coneflower


Purple Coneflower


Purple Coneflower


Trixie.
Sitting pretty. ;o)

Trixie

Trixie


Trixie


Trixie


'Golden Jubilee' agastache.
Grown from seed... so they're probably pretty easy to start from seed.  I'd consider trying another variety or two, next spring.

'Golden Jubilee' Agastache

Bumblebees enjoying agastache.

'Golden Jubilee' Agastache

'Golden Jubilee' Agastache


Flowerbeds.
The weeds are trying their best to take over the new Oval Bed.  I haven't been diligent enough in my weeding...

Weeds aside, I've been enjoying this new bed so much, this year!  It's in a very prominent, visible spot that I see all the time from the windows in our most "lived-in" room.  It's such an improvement, having flowers and foliage and ornamental grasses to look at instead of just a patch of weedy sand.  I think it will only get better with a little more work-- and maybe a bit of an expansion.  If only I'd known what a difference it would make... I should've put a flowerbed there years ago!

Flower Garden

Northern sea oats.
The starts of seedheads have appeared on this clump, as well as the younger ones (started from seed last year) by the banana fuscata.  Last year, I cut the seed stalks and hung them upside down in the utility room to dry.  I left them hanging for much (much) longer than necessary, but finally got around to putting them in a vase, recently.  They may look a little wild and messy for some tastes, but I'm enjoying them.  There's quite a decent-sized bundle of them, just from one year's "harvest".

Northern Sea Oats

All the new types of elephant ears are hanging in there, getting bigger, bit by bit.  None of them are huge, yet, but that takes time.  (A little fertilizer wouldn't hurt, either.)

'Tea Cup' Elephant Ears

Gardenia.

Gardenia

Gardenia


Angelwing jasmine.
It's happier outdoors than in, though it has to be taken inside when it gets cold.  (The store had it mislabeled as confederate jasmine; otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it, even though it was on clearance.)  It just sort of "existed" over the winter, but now that it's outside again, it's blooming.  (It might be even happier with a little more sun, though...)  The flowers are fragrant, but in my experience, it's not a very powerful perfume.

Angelwing Jasmine

'Russian Red' canna.
(Is this 'Russian Red', though?  Or is it 'Wyoming'?  I really need to decide which is which...)

'Russian Red' (?) Canna

Bog Sage.
(With a backdrop of tropical milkweed and 'Sunshine' ligustrum.  In the Oval Bed.)

Bog Sage

Liatris.
This is the only one that came back and bloomed the second year-- and not many of them did well even the first year.  These were an absolute failure in my garden.

Liatris

Forsythia sage.
The first flower spike bloomed buttery yellow...

Forsythia Sage

And there are more buds on the way!
This plant seems to have forgotten that it's not supposed to bloom until late, late summer.

Forsythia Sage

The first rose from Granny L.'s garden turned out to be a yellow Knock Out rose.  It will be pretty where it's planted, I think.  (I just happened to place it right next to another one Mom gave me a couple of years back, so they'll keep one another company.)

The second rose from Granny's garden is in the photo below.  It has small white flowers that were a little bowed down under the weight of raindrops, when this was taken-- but so pretty.

(In the background, that's our 'Golden Goddess' bamboo, which is humongous compared to the itsy-bitsy clump we originally planted.  To the right is another bit of the 'Golden Jubilee' agastache, which I moved here to see if it would perform better with some afternoon shade, courtesy of the bamboo.)

Granny L.'s White Rose

'Little Bonnie' dwarf spiraea.
There are two of these, from Mom.  They are still tiny, and they haven't bloomed much-- very pretty color on what small flowers they do have, though.  Maybe they'll improve over time.  (They, too, would probably benefit from a little fertilizing, if I could figure out when it's best to do-- and then remember to do it!)

'Little Bonnie' Dwarf Spiraea

Assorted daylilies.

Daylily

Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


Daylily


More recent photos are waiting on the camera for next time.