Saturday, June 6, 2015

Various and Assorted Flower Photos

Photos from around the yard on Friday morning:

'Joseph's Coat' continues to delight! 

'Joseph's Coat' Rose

There are a few tiny coleus seedlings coming up in the cracks between paving stones on the covered patio.  I'd rescue them and put them in pots, but I don't know that I can do it without removing the stones (too much work).  I suppose I could try pulling them; I might get enough roots to give them a chance...

Coleus Seedling

This pink crinum lily is blooming.  I didn't know until recently that there are different types (and colors) of crinum lily.  One blog post I found shares photos of a darker pink and a white with a red stripe, for instance.  These I have were pass-along plants from someone in my family.  I no longer remember who it was, but most likely either Mom or Granny L.

Pink Crinum Lily

These plants have gotten huge, this year.  Maybe even to the point that they're a little jungle/swamp-looking, but I think I like it.  I definitely like the flowers and the fact that crinum lilies are such hardy, fool-proof plants for our area.  It sounds like they may be uncommon in garden centers, but if I ever come across different varieties, I'd like to add one or two more to the garden.  (There are a few types of crinum listed on this past spring's Plantasia plant list.  I'll have to make a note for next time...)

Pink Crinum Lily

The triple orange daylilies have begun to bloom.  I think this must be 'Kwanso'. 

'Kwanso' Daylily

This daylily is a complete mystery to me.  I thought it came from Mom, several years ago, but last year, she commented on it, and it must not have been from her garden.  Maybe from Granny L.?  In any case, it's a repeat bloomer, which is always a nice quality in a daylily (or anything else, for that matter). 

Daylily

I know where these ginger lilies came from.  Definitely a pass-along from Granny.  They won't bloom until later summer/early autumn, but the foliage adds a touch of tropical beauty all summer long.  

Ginger Lily

This piece of Mexican heather came from Mom's garden, this spring.  I had some years ago, back before the house was built.  At some point, a cold winter (maybe combined with neglect?) must've done it in.  It's nice to have some back in the yard again.  :o)

Mexican Heather

The KnockOut roses continue to produce wave after wave of bloom.  This one's looking particularly bountiful at the moment.  I love those fat buds!

Double Red KO Rose

One of the clearance plants-- Salvia nemorosa 'New Dimension Rose'-- is blooming.  I think it's doing okay, but some of it looks a little leggy/floppy.  I'll be keeping an eye on it and need to read up on it (and the red Mexican ruellia, which has the same issue) to see if there's anything I should be doing differently.  Maybe it needs pinching back, at some point?

Salvia nemorosa 'New Dimension Rose'


'Mercury Rising' Coreopsis.  If you recall, the few blooms that were open when I bought and planted it were depressingly "frosted" with white/cream.  A little frosting is fine, but that was too much for my tastes.  Well, newly opened flowers are much more satisfyingly RED.  And look at all those buds!  Yeah!  Perennial coreopsis-- here's to a long and happy future in this garden!  May you be as foolproof as everyone says you are.  ;o) 

Coreopsis 'Mercury Rising'

One of the other two perennial coreopsis plants is this dwarf form-- 'Nana'.  I tend to forget just how small plants were when I initially put them in the flower bed, but this one I'm sure has spread quite a bit already.

It has a very low profile-- and the blooms themselves look fairly plain and very similar to the form of annual coreopsis in the garden-- but planted near the front of the bed or border, what's not to like?  I'm also fond of the shapes of the leaves.  Very full pointed ovals, packed together into a lush little clump of green.  I've been fairly diligent about deadheading, but it's an easy job, and if it prolongs the bloom time, well worth a few minutes twice a week or so.  (Now, if you have several clumps of this, I can see how deadheading might lose its appeal.)

Dwarf Coreopsis 'Nana'

Coreopsis 'Golden Sphere'.  Worth every penny of the dollar it cost.  ;o)  Seriously, though, I'm happy with this plant.  It also seems to be happy. 

Coreopsis 'Golden Sphere'

Did I ever write about planting the river oats (Chasmanthium latifolium)?  I finally decided to plant them down by the river birch and crepe myrtles in the partly-shady, damp corner of the yard.  Based on what I've read, that should be a good spot.

It's put on some "oats", now.  They're a bit sparse, but I can't fault the plant for that; I dilly-dallied for far too long, and the poor thing hasn't had long to settle in.  As long as it pulls through the summer and returns next spring, I'll be satisfied.  I do hope those pretty little seeds will scatter and make new clumps of river oats, though.  (And I also hope that Future Me won't look back on this in a few years and shake a fist at that wish.  A little multiplication would be nice, but no-one wants an outright invasion.)

River Oats

Aren't those seedheads pretty?  They have a lot of motion, too-- even in the slightest breeze.  I love it!

River Oats

The tough-as-nails old-fashioned(?) pink shrub roses are covered in buds, preparing for another flush of bloom. 

Pink Shrub Rose in Bud

Bunches and bunches of them!

The pink climber (which may or may not be 'Lavender Lassie'-- and is not pictured in this post) has put on a very sporadic second bloom.  There are only a handful of roses, this time, and a few more buds to open.  I think that means it's not a rambler, right?  If I understand correctly, a rambler will only bloom once a year. 

Pink Shrub Rose in Bud

I've yet to plant this one-- Heuchera (coral bells) 'Georgia Peach'.  More photos when it's in place.

Heuchera 'Georgia Peach'

The roses of sharon (rose of sharons?) are still flowering:

Rose of Sharon


Rose of Sharon


Rose of Sharon


Rose of Sharon


Rose of Sharon


Rose of Sharon

...And that does it for floral photos, this time!