Though I dragged my feet getting these photos uploaded, they are from early in the month-- the 2nd of June.
I think I'll skip most of the commentary, this time. There's plenty of work to do, including some things I've been saying I'd deal with for several months (like the bits of landscape fabric sticking up on the edges of the path). As always, kindly ignore the weeds, untidy water hoses, peeling paint, and other flaws on display. ;o)
Ok, here's one that might actually need a comment.
The pot of ivy on the front door stoop is new (since the last "garden survey" post, I think). This is some of the ivy removed from the former ivy trellis. It looks like it'll be a couple of years before the ivy really covers its new, simple trellis.
This time, since it's a movable pot, I hope to be able to keep the ivy trimmed and/or pulled away from the brick enough that we won't run into the same problem as before. (I hope...) The main problem will be remembering to keep it watered, since it's under a solid roof.
Here's something else new, since last survey-- those horizontal bars on the bird feeder post. They look all askew in these photos, because they were all askew. We'd tried just one screw per piece, but the weight of the birds landing on them and pushing off from them was enough to move them, so I went back later on and nailed them into place. The hope is that these boards will help support a vine (probably "just" an annual, for now) to scramble up the post. I'm late planting those vines, but maybe in another month or two...
Well, here's another subject in need of explanation...
In some of the photos to follow, you'll see a pile of soil on a tarp and a wheelbarrow full of soil. Just a day or two before I took these pictures, Donald was digging holes for our new arbor and-- well, suffice it to say that the telephone line ended up needing a repair. So a bigger trench had to be dug. I took these photos before we filled everything back in again.
And that's it for early June!
As always, it's stunning how much plants can grow and change in just a month or two! Even since these pictures were taken-- about two weeks ago, now-- there have been new developments. Some flowers have gone out of bloom while others have begun to flower. Plants have been trimmed back, and some are needing it again already.
At the moment, weeding is my biggest, most time-consuming gardening chore. I'd do myself a big favor if I could manage to spread a little more mulch before the next wave of weeds pop up...