Saturday, June 11, 2016

More Random "Stuff"

Random photos from the past week:

Butterfly vine flower buds (I think):

Butterfly Vine Flower Buds(?)

Hydrangea:

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

'Joseph's Coat' rose:

'Joseph's Coat' Rose

River oats (a little out of focus...):

River Oats

River Oats


I've had a request to show a close-up of the bark of a tree that was in the background of a recent photo.  The tree in question is a crepe myrtle that looked whiter in the photo than it does in real life.  It's actually more of a grey-beige.  "Greige", if you will.

Crepe Myrtle Bark

Crepe Myrtle Bark

Here's another crepe myrtle with a completely different type of bark.  These white-flowered crepe myrtles in the southwestern corner of the yard have darker bark (cinnamon/chestnut):

Crepe Myrtle Bark

And since I was out taking photos of tree bark, anyway, I snapped one of the bald cypress, too.  ~~It's watching you...~~ See the "eye"? (g)

Bald Cypress Bark

A couple of photos of the western side of the flower garden from across the yard (which I just noticed make the arbor look kind of oddly short):

From the Backyard

The tree in the background here is the bald cypress (from a couple of photos back).  It's one I planted back when we were still living in the trailer, and it's getting to a decent size now.

From the Backyard

I was surprised that a number of last year's gladioli came back, because I haven't had the best luck with them, in the past.  The first to bloom is a giant in fire engine red:

Red Gladiolus

Red Gladiolus

Red Gladiolus

Last year's purple coneflowers are blooming here and there around the garden, but this year's new seedlings are far behind.

Purple Coneflower

This bougainvillea was from Mom's clearance spree.  I put it under a sunny window in the house to overwinter, then put it back outside when the temperatures warmed back up.  It's blooming!  Still a very small plant, of course, but there were times I doubted it would even make it through the winter.  I've read recently that in a sheltered location, these can survive our winters, so I might give that a try-- find a warm spot and plant it in the ground in autumn, then see what happens.  I don't think I'll want to bring it inside the house again, at least...

Bougainvillea

Red KO rose:

Red KO Rose

I've noticed something strange about the bee balm.  I mentioned before that last year, I divided the original clump and planted them in two different spots.  Well, the one closer to the house looks like this-- medium-dark pink:

Bee Balm

Meanwhile, the one by the fence is a pale lavender pink.
They're two pieces of the same plant, so the difference in color must be a reflection of the soil or sunlight (though I think both get pretty much full sun).

Bee Balm

And finally, we harvested our first trombone squash this week!
It's a little over a foot long.  I've read that they taste better ("sweeter") when picked small-- 8" to 12" or so-- but I've also seen people picking them quite a bit bigger, so I'll probably let the next one get a little larger before picking.

Tromboncino Squash

We each tried a piece raw, for curiosity's sake.  Apparently, they're completely edible when raw.  Donald thought it was fine-- not that different from a cucumber, really.  I didn't really like it raw, but then, I'm rarely a fan of raw vegetables on their own.  On a sandwich/in a taco salad, fine; by themselves, no.

Tromboncino Squash

I steamed some slices in the microwave and found it not that different from the crookneck squash.  To be honest, the bright green color of the cooked squash was a little off-putting, but that's probably just me.  I'm just so used to squash being yellow that it still feels wrong for it to be green.

I think the yellow crookneck might have a very slight edge on the trombone in matters of taste, but it's early to say.  I'd want to eat it a few more times to say, but I don't think there's a significant difference.  The trombone squash was certainly perfectly fine-- very mild and unobjectionable in flavor.  I'd like to try a few different recipes.

If it's more resilient (in the face of insect damage) than the crookneck squash, that's a big plus.  The vines are growing daily, but I'm seeing stink bugs and need to work up the courage to squash them.  (Yuck!)  I took a few photos today, but haven't uploaded them yet.  Next time!